Friday, April 12, 2013

The Lost Locals (Revised)



When I was going to have a nice dinner one night while walking along Coral Gables’ Miracle Mile, I could not help but notice a very depressing representation of the local household in Miami. Details such as the Spanish tile, very artistic ironwork, and hurricane shutters all gave me a feeling of a quaint home that should be warm and inviting.  Yet, with the inclusion of the dumpster and stark white walls I was overcome with sorrow and bareness.  The Spanish tile on the roof depicts the Spanish culture brought to Coral Gables by the early conquistadors back in the 17th century. While the artistic ironwork on the railings is seen to represent the art deco movement that has become prominent in Miami since Miami Vice in the 1970’s.  This dumpster in the foreground of the photo made me think about how the locals have been underrepresented in this city and it is seems to be that way.  Metaphorically this dumpster can be seen as an attack on the local point of view of the city by the others who live here, showing how the local’s opinions are worthless to them. 
This place stood out to me because of its irony.  Although this barren household seems to represent the local population of the city, the way in which this person lives is almost like being exiled.  Being secluded or locked in the second floor of this building gives this local person a disconnection from the world around him or her.  If this person looked out their window, they could see the commercialization of their city, but not be able to do anything about it for their opinion is trivial and cast aside in the grand scheme and development of the city.     
The photo is very personal to me because it reminds me of the long period of time in which I visited the impoverished area of Little Havana.  I would make the long trek from Aventura to this extremely dilapidated and under kept area to see my girlfriend at the time.  These types of houses and apartment complexes were neglected and filled with those who were forgotten about in an ever-growing city, mainly the locals and exiles.  I felt much sorrow towards these groups of people who do not have a say in their own local politics and government.  Having to see these images day in and day out made me yearn for a change in the way that these neglected groups of people lived.  These blue collar workers should have a huge say in what happens to their city because they represent a majority which deserves a voice in their community. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. Upon viewing the picture, I had the same sentiment as the author. I think this analysis is well written and the metaphor of the dumpster is very good. I also liked the irony of seclusion in the second paragraph. This topic seems very interesting to the author and I think they should consider writing about it for the third essay.

    ReplyDelete