Thursday, April 11, 2013

98 Degrees In The Shade

I took this picture while riding the Metrobus from NMB to Downtown Miami. 

In the background, to the top right, you can make out the face of a sunbathing beauty which has been painted across 300 feet of building wall. She is relaxed, facing down with her eyes shut while exposing her skin to the sun.

The man, on the other hand, is obviously homeless and avoiding the hot Miami sun by hanging under a bridge. He is rejoicing in his newly acquired Easter candy that must have been given to him at a homeless shelter Easter event or maybe some person stopped at a red light took it from their kids and gave it to him. Who knows!?

The Design District is not unlike many other places that have been gentrified by artist and real estate speculators. Are they to blame for this man's disposition? Absolutely not! 

But it is important to acknowledge the irony of such a beautiful city with a sometimes grim reality. I've lived in Miami since 1995 and I'll tell you from my own personal experience, this picture represents Miami's reality. 

P.S. I realize the picture I took with my iPhone wasn't so great. So I Googled the Mural of the Sunbathing Beauty in the Design District and found a better picture below (not mine).


No comments:

Post a Comment