Monday, March 18, 2013

Running to or from leisure time?

Lefebvre claims that leisure must be a break from the everyday in order for it to fulfill parts of our lives that seem "missing." An activity that historically represented a survival tactic, running has taken a different form in the last century. Running has not only gained a competitive spirit, but it has also gained a title as one of the best forms of exercise for the body and mind. For me, running represents a break from the stresses of the everyday; it allows me to think clearly while still working up a sweat. As far as I have noticed, people who run for leisure tend to be middle or upper class white people ranging in age. Running for leisure could suggest that I crave freedom and clarity that typically clouds my everyday life. Running reflects a need for control over one's actions, which isn't always possible in work or everyday life. Running is also a primal instinct that could suggest a desire to revert to nature. Running fulfills the need to have time alone to think and raise my heart-rate, but can also have varying effects; running sometimes leaves me more frustrated then when I started, so environmental factors definitely need to be taken into account when analyzing this activity.

1 comment:

  1. Cool analyzation. I like your choice of running as an example of leisure and how you tie it to your own needs of clarity in day to day life. You also bring up time alone, freedom, and desire for control. I would recommend focusing on one of these aspects, maybe the clarity in your life, and ask why do I need clarity? What day to day activity(s) make you feel the need to search for clarity? Also, I would focus on why upperclass and middle class white people are the ones searching for clarity. Do other groups of people not search for clarity?

    ReplyDelete