Monday, March 11, 2013

What Leisure Really Tells Us



Analytic Summary of “Work and Leisure in Everyday Life”

            Lefebvre begins his essay saying that everyone critiques their own life through the leisure activities they pursue, which is used to represent what is missing from their work or everyday life.  At the same time there exists a unity between work and leisure and yet, a contradiction.  Lefebvre explains how work for peasants hundreds of years ago was not separate from their home and private life, but in fact it was the same thing.    But with the widening of social classes and the appearance of the bourgeois, there was a shift in the meaning of work.  These wealthy individuals did not incorporate work into their home and everyday activities, causing a separation of work from leisure simply because they could afford to do so. 
Reinforcing this separation was a “fragmentation of labour” during the industrial revolution as Lefebvre called it, which even further polarized the notions of work and leisure.  Factory workers could not take pride in their work for they only made small parts of whole product, never feeling the gratification of creating a product in its entirety because of the mechanization of production.  Lefebvre stated that this created a “general need for leisure”.  This leisure was used a “break” or “distraction” from work offering liberation and relaxation from a hard day of labor.  Lefebvre accounts for one source of leisure displayed through the nudity and sexy images displayed in everyday life, used for people to escape the hardships and dissatisfaction in their normal lives.  This creates an illusion in our everyday life just as sports do, where we escape through entertainment, or a fake world of happiness that mimics the real one.  The irony of all of this is that we try so hard to break away from work to attain a sense of belonging and to relax and enjoy time with others, without worrying about the hardships of work.  Yet we perform activities such as going to the movies where everyone alienates themself from one another because of a lack of communication.  All of these examples help to depict the contradictory yet similar nature of work and leisure that Lefebvre tries to show in a concrete and real way. 
This analysis of the changing notion of leisure is important because it helps us to define what needs and desires are missing from everyday life.  In this way, we can successfully try to make a change to the environment in which people work.  By incorporating all of our needs in the working environment we may hopefully fall back to this unity of work and leisure where people can really enjoy what they do in its entirety. 
When analyzing my own leisure activity using Lefebvre’s theory I see that I’m one of the few whose work and leisure are the same thing.  I teach tennis for work, which is an activity that I have loved to do ever since I was little.  This unity of work and leisure demonstrates how my needs are fulfilled in my everyday life because I love what I do. Some of my needs that are fulfilled by this activity include getting exercise, fresh air, money, and greater confidence in myself.  If I can handle any problem on the court, the same goes for any problem in real life.  This boosts my self-esteem and determination because I feel as if it’s me against the world, and this separation from everything by a net and some white lines on the ground help me gain a sense of that.  I need no “break” or “distraction” through some other activity, which leads me to be a more productive and ultimately happier member of society.  I do not need to fall into an illusory fictional world of happiness because I enjoy my work.  Unity between the two notions can also be attributed to the pride I get from helping my clients get better at something we both love.  When I teach I get to see the end result of my work and know that I was the only one to help my clients improve and no one else.  That gives me a huge sense of gratification that internally motivates me to teach even more and to continue to pursue this combination of work and leisure that elude so many.    
            Tennis for others can be seen as a leisure activity in itself geared more towards a Caucasian upper middle and wealthy class.  This is supported by the game’s history.  The first conceived notion of tennis came from the Monarch Lois X of France who built the first indoor tennis court in the world.  Several other Monarchs throughout history such as King Charles V of France and even Henry VIII of England also advocated the game.  Tennis became a game that represented someone of a high status in society.  Additionally, tennis used to only be available to those who were members of country clubs, which even further isolated the game from commoners. 
The equipment such as tennis racquets, tennis shoes, and tennis bags are fairly expensive not to mention tennis lessons!  Furthermore, those who would need and desire exercise from their leisure activities would generally be people who have white-collar jobs who do not perform manual labor.   One can assume that they are most likely to be professionals such as, businessmen or lawyers who have high paying jobs who probably sit in an office all day long, which demonstrate a particular unmet need in their workplace.  But at the same time, tennis also represents a certain wealthy and sophisticated status that these professionals want to embrace and ultimately achieve if they have not already done so.      


No comments:

Post a Comment